Pages

Wednesday 4 April 2018

Wonder

We are learning to: Describe a character you disliked /admired in the text. Explain how your feelings to this character helped you understand this text as a whole.
How does this show my learning: I have written about how the character ‘Via’ makes me understand how the plotlines of ‘wonder’ unfold.
I could improve on: my vocabulary.
I am wondering: Where did RJ Palacio get the inspiration for the character ‘Via’.

‘Wonder’ is full of amazing characters and plot lines, one character I admired was Via. The character of Via helps ground your perspective and offers many points of the story we can all identify with. Via’s complicated relationships with people show how quickly things can change, for better or worse; and how we deal with the changes can affect us. The choices we make can determine how we feel about things. Via is a role model and helps us to find the strength to deal with challenges.

August is the sun, Me Mum and Dad are the planets orbiting the sun. The rest of our family and friends are the asteroids and comets orbiting the planets orbiting the sun.’ Is the first line of page 101. The quote explains how the dynamics of her family work, August needs all the attention and she sits back and deals with her issues. This quote also explains that we need to focus on the bigger picture and not let little things get to us. In Via’s family, everything revolves around August.

‘Miranda and Ella blasted off. They attached themselves to a new crowd destined for high school glory. After a week of painful lunches where all they would do is talk about people who didn’t interest me, I decided to make a clean break for it. They asked no questions, I told no lies. We just went our separate ways’. Through Via we can see how quickly friendships can drift apart. People change and we have no control over how people grow and develop. All we can do is make the best of the situation and make new friends. Via creates new relationships and moves on with her life, encouraging us to do the same. Via is fiercely protective of August, standing up for him and looking after him. RJ Palacio has created a character who grounds us in the story of ‘wonder’ through relate-able challenges and ever changing friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.