Pages

Friday 4 May 2018

Diffusion ( potassium pemaganate)

We are learning :about diffusion and convection in science today. We have two experiments to complete. I have worked with Chloe on this experiment. She is a very cleaver learner so click the link to see her blog.
How does this show my learning: I have completed two experiments and recorded my observations.
How could I improve: Take more photos.
What am I wondering: If this experiment would work with other substances.
Experiment: Petrie dish
We are placing a single potassium permaganate crystal in a pertie dish full with water and watching it diffuse.




Observations: The colour moved very slowly through the water.
Reason: there was less space between water particles.

Experiment: Heating up a beaker with water and potassium permaganate.

1. set up Bunsen burner on heat proof mat.
2. fill a 200ml beaker with 150 ml of cold water.\
3. pace on tripod over Bunsen burner.
4. carefully drop in a crystal of potassium permaganate using a straw. 
5. watch the crystal diffuse.




Observations: The potassium permaganate diffused much quicker in the warm water than the cold.
Reasons: the heat makes the water particles drift apart, giving more room for the colouring to move through the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.