Pages

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Wonder

The book 'wonder' was partly based on Natalie Merchants song by the same name. The song is about a handicapped lady who, with much support from her adopted mother, overcomes all obstacles. The reason R.J Palacio used this song as inspiration is because it celebrates everyone as equals rather than excluding people.
Goal: Listen to the song and explain what story it tells and how it relates to the story.
How does this show my learning: Because I have explained how this song relates to the story.

Here are my video notes



'Doctors have come from distant cities, just to see me, stand over my bed, disbelieving what their seeing' Hints that she may have a medical complication of some form.
'they say I must be one of the wonders, God's own creation'tells us she valued.
Natilie Merchant wrote this song about a handicaped lady who, with love and surport from her adopted family, overcame her disability. When Natilie Merchant was a teenager she volenteered at a camp for kids with special needs, her song is also written to those kids.
Natilie Merchant views people with disabilities gifted and a wonder, not as a handicaped, doctors can not understand their condition so they are God's wonders
'News papers ask intimate questions, want confessions' Maybe the doctors think having a disability is a sin.
'Reach into my head, to steal the glory from my story' This is most likely the disabled persons point of view, seeing the doctors as trying to make them normal when they are special
The many different people in the video represents how we are all different but we all need love and kindness.
'and they smile as they can not find no explanation' doctors do not know what causes disibilities.
'Laughed when she came to my cradle, know this child will be able' the child will be able to over come the obstacles.
'Laughed as my body she lifted, know this child is gifted' means they are special in their own way.
'With love, with patience and with faith,she'll make her way' we all need love and support to thrive and take on the world. She will succeed!
'People see me, i'm a challenge to your balance' people view others with a disability like a flaw or impurity to their lives
'I’m over your heads; how I confound you and astound you to know I must be one of the wonders of god’s own creation, and as far as you can see you can offer me no explanation' means that we all can succeed, just because we are not the same doesn't mean we are a problem, everyone is different and that should be celebrated, the world would be boring if we were all the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.