Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2019

Macbeth

we are working on:We will summarise key points around the time of Macbeth on King James 1, the gunpowder plot, witchcraft, and The Globe Theatre
This shows my learning by: I have summarised information based on these themes.
I am wondering: why people tried to kill King James I.


King James I

When queen Elizabeth the first died, she had no children so her cousin James of Scotland took over and was king from 1603 to 1625.
James was very intelligent and loved plays and studying witch craft matters.
James was responsible for writing a book about witches called Daemonologie


The Gun powder plot

After King James was crowned in 1603 there was an assassination attempt.
In 1605 a group of catholic conspirators planned to blow up the parliament but failed.
The attempt was lead by Guy Fawkes.They hid barrels of explosives under the house of lords and planned to light them, blowing up the whole parliament. The Traitors were captured sentences to torture. They were hung until half dead, castrated , forced to watch their parts burn in a fire, decapitated and cut up into little bits. Lovely.


The North Berwick witch trials

In 1590 the North Berwick witch trials took place after multiple people were accused of witchcraft.
Suspected witches were tortured until they admitted to being a witch and then were executed.
One of the reasons the witch trials took place is because some people suspected the bad weather on King James' voyage was an attempt on his life by a witch.


The Globe theatre

The globe theatre was a round theatre made to perform Shakespeare's plays. The seats varied because of the different ticket prices. The rich people sat in the 'gentlemen's rooms ' and tickets cost a shilling.
Seats for middle class people were in 'the galleries' and cost 2-6 pence. Tickets for the lower class people were in ' the pit' and cost one penny.The people in the pit were called groundlings.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing and helping me learn more about King James. It was fascinating to hear how he was interested in witchcraft. I don't think that the kings and queens of today would be. Did you ever find out why he was killed?

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.