Pages

Friday 30 August 2019

Screen printing (textiles)

Through out this semester we will be creating our own printed fabric. we are learning different techniques to use in our end product. This week we have been learning how to screen print.

We are learning: to create a printed fabric which represents our culture and identity.
How does this show my learning: I am learning new tecniques to use in my print.
I am wondering: what sparked the idea of screen printing fabric.

Reflection: I think my screen print turned out well. When cutting my stencil, my knife slipped a few times, nothing too noticeable though. The actual printing went well. I used a little too much paint but managed to recycle it. over all I think screen printing worked well. Im not entirely sure if I will use it in my end print.


Screen printing is a printing method which uses paint, a mesh screen, a stencil and material. When making a screen print many things can go wrong.
First you have to find and print/draw an image onto some card.
Then you have to carefully cut it out (every knife slip will show).
Next we have to layer the stencil and screen on the fabric.
Dragging the paint using a squeegee has to be done well too. The squeegee needs to be at a 45 degree angle to spread the paint correctly.

Here are the photos of my screen print.

This one is the teacher, Miss Laycock, showing us how to use the squeegee.
This is my stencil once it was fully cut out. Cutting it was a little difficult, the knife slipped a few times.

Here is the end product of my screen print.




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.