Pages

Friday 12 April 2019

Serving sizes

This week in Home ec we have been learning about serving sizes. It is important to get the number of servings and the size of servings right for your body each day to stay healthy.

This shows my learning because i have made a post from my understanding of servings.

I am wondering: how did people come up with this guide line.

here is the amount of servings you should have in a day for each food. Things like age, gender and activity level change how much food you need to eat a day. If you are watching your weight, cut back of some portions.


For bread/ cereals the serving size is about 1 cup. This equates to 1 cup of pasta ect or a piece of bread. Potatoes, kumara and pumpkin count as a carbohydrate.

We need 1-2 servings of meat a day. A serving equates to an amount which is the size of the plan of your hand.

We need 1-3 servings of dairy a day and a serving equates to one cup of milk roughly.

You can have 2 servings of fruit a day. A serving is one medium piece of fruit or two small ones (mandirin ect). We can only have about 2 because of the sugar in fruit.

We can have 3+plus servings of veges. We can eat as much carrots, peas ect as we want.

Fat, sugar and salt. We are allowed 0-1 servings of really fatty foods, really sugary foods of food high in sodium.

How this relates to my daily intake ( average)
 I eat a balanced diet with the right amount of everything.

bread:6
veges:3
fruit:2
meat: none - 1
dairy: 1
water: 1.5 litres

extras: 1


Dinner plate

what our dinner plate should consist of:1/2 veges, 1/4 meat/ alternatives, 1/4 carbs (potaoes/pasta ect)
our example: meat ( i think its pork), potatoes, carrots, peas. we made a dinner model with play doh




What I have learnt over the term:
I have learnt about lactose intolerance and other dietary requirements, servings, what water does to us, healthy food swaps, how to cook nutritious food and how to work in a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.